How active is your child?
- Always on the go, explores with body movements
Find programs that offer one-on-one attention, ways to explore safely and lots of physical play.
- Low Activity
- Sits quietly, explores through senses
Find caregivers who engage your child in sensory-rich activities (sight, t0 smell, taste and sound).
How social is your child?
- Enjoys meeting new people
- Is happiest when interacting with others
Find programs with opportunities for your child to play in groups.
- Generally shy and reserved around strangers
- Needs extra time to feel comfortable with new people
Find programs that allow your child to become comfortable at his/her own pace.
How does your child deal with change?
- Is not disturbed by changes and is highly adaptable
- Copes very well with frustration
Find programs with mixed-age groups that offer frequent challenges and high stimulation.
- Is very sensitive to change
- Gets upset when daily routine is disrupted
- Is easily frustrated and bothered by change
Find programs with same-age groups and consistent routines that support your child’s independence.
Consider your child’s unique needs
- Sleeping habits/routine
- Cultural identity
- Special needs/disabilities
Adapted from Matching Your /infant’s or Toddler’s Style to the Right Child Care Setting, 2009 Child Care Aware